The Minister for Kampala, Betty Amongi says they are to be compelled as cabinet to impose another lockdown if Ugandans continue to be complacent. Speaking at the Uganda Media Centre today in a conference, the Minister said as government they are getting concerned with the reluctance of members of the public who to-date find it hard to follow the existing SOPs.

Her warning comes after the Ministry of health reported the highest caseload of 99 which was recorded on Thursday.

Amongi revealed that the cases are mostly being registered at work places, political campaigns, public transport and arcades. The ministry has since blacklisted some Kampala arcades that are on the verge of closure.

see also Mafias are earning from the lockdown-Tamale Mirundi

According to Amongi, in the last 11 days, Kampala has registered 175 cases out of which 116 are alerts, 46 are contacts, 9 health workers and 4 returnees.

“Majority 15(78.9%) of all 19 COVID-19 related deaths are from Kampala. With the rest ( 21.1%) across the country,” she said in a statement. “We are alerting the public of these high risk areas to allow them to make informed decisions and avoid these areas.”

Amongi further stated that Kampala registered its first COVID-19 case on March 23, 2020 and then hit the hundred mark on July 30, 2020.
“From this, it took Kampala 4 months to hit 100 cases, 10 days to hit 200 cases yet less than 5 days closing in to the 400 mark. The increase in cases is therefore a great concern,” reads the statement in part.
She also noted that 66.3% of the new infections in Kampala were alerts followed by contacts of previously confimed cases at 26.3%.
“The substantial proportion of alerts is possibly an indication of high community transmission. These are being manifested following the opening of public transport and shopping arcades,” reads part of her report.

Spread the love
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Ekyooto Uganda
Don`t copy text!