The state Minister for foreign affairs, Okello Oryem has lashed out at the Washington administration for allegedly relying on what he termed as baseless concoctions and rumours to come up with the decision of sanctioning Uganda government officials.

SEE ALSO: US Visa restrictions can’t give us sleepless nights-Minister Oryem

In a statement issued last week by US secretary of state Anthony Blinken, the Biden administration imposed sanctions on yet to be named government officials in the repressive regime of Gen. Yoweri Museveni for allegedly undermining the democratic process in the just concluded polls.

“Today I am announcing Visa restrictions on those believed to be responsible for, or complicit in, undermining the democratic process in Uganda, including during thw country’s January 14 general elections and the campaign period that preceded it,” Mr. Blinken said in a statement on Friday.

Reacting to the development, Minister Oryem says US has failed to understand the official matters raised by Kampala in a statement issued earlier this year. Oryem says he finds it difficult to believe that the US is even relying on information given by bloggers of the National Unity Platform party president Kyagulanyi Ssentamu Robert aka Bobi Wine. He however maintains that as government officials, they are not dying to own US visas. “We shall not lose sleep over US sanctions. In fact they are baseless,” Oryem sais in a press conference.

Spread the love
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Ekyooto Uganda
Don`t copy text!