In the ongoing Central Executive Committee meeting of the ruling NRM party, Gen. Museveni has told the incumbent Deputy Speaker Rt. Hon. Anita Among to retreat from her plans to replace Jacob Oulanyah. This comes a day after the same Museveni instructed his Special Forces Command guards to restrain Among from accessing the precincts of state house Entebbe.
Sources privy to the developments in the NRM CEC say Museveni is embittered and aggrieved by Among’s overzealousness that saw her plot for the silent assassination by poisoning her senior. Museveni argues that endorsing Among would be a direct insult to the people of Acholi who have already threatened to boycott the looming Friday polls. Museveni is reportedly concerned by the accusations pressed by Acholi local leaders and the deceased speaker’s father, Nathan Okori who insist that their son was poisoned. The same poison acclaim was raised on the 4 August, 2021 Observer story titled, “Museveni Probes Oulanyah Poisoning” in which it was said he had deployed SFC and ISO to review CCTV surveillance footage to study the deceased speaker’s feeding habits and find out who could have laced his cup of tea with poison as stated by his father.
Museveni who is now caught between the lines has suggested that despite Among’s popularity amongst her well mobilized MPs whom she has given between UGX 3m-10m basing on their influence, it would be good riddance for her to retain her position. Museveni is reportedly backing the state Minister Jacob Oboth Oboth whom to him can work for the party. He has however added that should Among insist on contesting, the NRM party shall leave her in the race just to humiliate her like they did with stubborn Rebecca Kadaga last year. Museveni also says Among’s unpopularity in the general public is a disservice to the ruling NRM party which struggles to dominate amongst the youths.