Makerere University Council has this afternoon banned physical guild elections following the death of a student in a scuffle during the campaigns for elections that were slated for today.
In a statement issued by the University Council, Any future elections shall be virtual and other resolutions included;
1) To condemn the violence that characterized the electoral process for the 88th Students Guild leadership.
2) To terminate the electoral process of the 88th Students Guild leadership.
3) That the Makerere University Students Guild and Senior Common Room, including the Caretaker Government and all Guild leadership structures, are suspended henceforth.
4) To ban all brigades and any other unauthorized groups or organizations at the University with immediate effect, and
5) To appoint a Select Committee to review the Students Guild operations, among others.
According to the same statement, the Council reassured the Public of the University’s commitment to enforcing discipline and guaranteeing the security of students, staff, and other University stakeholders.
Last evening a student at the Uganda Christian University Kampala Campus, Betungura Bewatte was stabbed to death in a scuffle that ensued during the last-minute campaigns.